Wednesday, December 23, 2009

The Brown Hornet


Prelude:  Can we talk about racism without tripping over ourselves?  No drippy comments about how bad racism is?  In other words, if you choose to throw down on this topic, please SHOW me why it's bad/neutral/peachy.  Don't TELL.  My guess is that we all think it's low.  So can we say something other than boilerplate?  Can you?


RACE AND RACISM IN MY PRETEEN YEARS
I first thing I remember is the Brown Hornet, Cosby's play-within-the-play on Fat Albert. 

The Brown Hornet was the cartoon the FA characters watched in their clubhouse in the city dump (more than simply making us feel sorry for the gang, the implication is that the kids themselves are (perceived as) no more important than trash). 
They gathered religiously to watch the Brown Hornet, the one figure they have to idolize (parents in FA are all but nonexistent, but unlike Peanuts, there are speaking adult characters--most are portrayed as conniving).  The kids run in a cloud of dust and squeaky-shoe sound effects to make it to the little clubhouse TV.  The Brown Hornet materializes out of the static--there's always a sense they won't be able to tune him in.  Now, the Hornet is not infallible--he barely pulls off the escape/rescue, and his eyes betray a sense of "How did I get this job?"  He gets caught in compromising situations.  His spaceship is a bucket. Still, he eventually wins the day, smashing shit up.  The clubhouse kids howl in approval. 

What it made me consider, at age 5, was that these kids were watching a black guy.  Sure, I was watching a black show, but I was white.  Here were blacks watching blacks.  Nothing profound here--it just made me realize that the majority of what I saw on TV was white.  That I was white.

Many years later when the Cosby Show started, I would struggle with the idea of a black doctor dad, a black lawyer wife and well-adjusted black kids, supportive, non-jealous black grandparents, living in the heart of the city.  The only black grandfather was Marvin Gaye's dad.  What I struggled with was the idea of appropriation.  I mean, rich whites raised blacks out of generosity, right?  Diff'rent Strokes, yo!  We wouldn't have blinked at a shite show with similar characters (hello Silver Spoons), but with the Cosby Show--the biggest draw of its time, I was thinking, whatchoo talkin bout Bill?  At about the same time, American blacks were busy appropriating staunchly white icons such as Mercedes (nice hood ornament, cracker--it'll look great as a necklace), Fila (tennis!!), Adidas (Germany!  And tennis!), and calling each other nigger.  Er, "nigga."  But you get the idea?  Sure.  Meanwhile, the Cos was appropriating white roles in his show.  No more dry cleaner kings, no more families living in alleys, no more quiet anger...  Cosby is a brilliant dude.

And now Tina has appropriated "pussy."  Wheel in the sky, keep turning.

I was pretty idealistic as a preteen.  I wasn't really racist until high school.  More on that in later post.  What I knew from my parents and Jesus most adults was that:
1) it was wrong.
2) it made sense not to judge others based on the color their skin.

Still, the blacks and Mexicans I knew as a kid (few) weren't dressed as well as most white kids.  The minority adults seemed sad.  Therefore, in my young eyes, there was something going on here.  Like we weren't supposed to not like them as much, but there was no practica application.  My parents didn't have a lot of black friends, if any?  Why?

Nonwhites I knew as a preteen:
Stacy Fitzpatrick, who lived in a trailer.  He was ok, then suddenly mean.  His clothes were dirty.
Fuzzy, who worked bagging groceries at the local market.  He bought a Michael Jackson zipper jacket (red) after Thriller came out.  He was later convicted for molesting children.  He was awfully friendly.  He liked to joke with us at the store, an adult who acted like a child.
Emeka (see below).
Louise, who worked at my preschool.  She taught me to tie my shoes.  I liked her.  She sat on the stoop and watched up play with those heavy stainless steel trikes and hollered at misbehaving kids.  We had eggplant one day for snack and I said 100% innocently that it was the same color as her skin.  I had no idea about Italians calling blacks melezzane.  Oh brother.

I was in the 3rd grade when Emeka Mbachu (a-MAKE-ah  mm-BOTCH-oo) made the scene.  His dad was from Nigeria (which, along with Niger, were considered hilarious country names for kids just learning to spell, but which wouldn't have been funny at all if Chris Turner hadn't pointed out the word nigger) and was in Sewanee for seminary (the result of aggressive colonization by the Anglican church for the century prior, not exactly paying dividends for the Episcopal Church today). 
Enough parentheses.  Emeka was a huge black kid.  If you wanted to win at football at recess, you picked Emeka first.  Whoever won the coin toss to decide first pick won the game.  Hand off or pass to Emeka, and he would carry three kid into the end zone, laughing the whole time.  He was always smiling.

Given his loose grasp of English, we would sometimes provide him with whispered answers to the teacher's questions.  "Three times three?" Mrs. Majors would query.  Emeka wanted to provide answers.  Someone would whisper to him, "Emeka--'shit.'"  And he would blurt out, "Shit!" proudly and with a smile. 

Mrs. Majors would then paddle him, which we loved to see, because the sight of a larger male being paddled by a shorter old woman was comical.  Did his African blackness and her Mary Kay peachness contribute to the sight gag?  Maybe.  And he smiled through the paddling.  He wore some kind of diaper, I'd seen it when he stood up after (finally) being tackled. 

One day my dad came home from a National Guard weekend trip. I was 8 or so. On an early morning training excursion, one of the Guardsmen had fallen asleep at the wheel of his Jeep and crashed it into a tree. he died. He was the father of one of the few boys at school who was black. James Beasley. In later years, it would just seem to figure, a la Scorcese flicks, that it was the black guy who fell asleep at the wheel.

See how much media contributes to our perceptions of the world?  Where's Tipper?  I owe her an apology.

I wish I could say that it gets easier from this childhood point of grappling, but it doesn't.  I talk about, or around, racism with those close to me.  It is endlessly fascinating, how race gets tied up with culture (Jews, e.g.) to the point that one is indicernible from the other.  How one's phenotype, not genotype, determines how we perceive them (Tiger and Obama on one side, Colin Powell on the other.  And Michael Jackson somewhere in the middle, someone who took control of his color, unsuccessfully).


That's enough for now.  I feel a little ill. 

10 comments:

  1. Feeling a little ill is the right feeling. Not for you personally but for anyone who seriously considers their response to people and not just what they hope their response is.

    Where I grew up there was virtually no black community, there were Lakota/Sioux Indians. I was vaguely conscious of the fact that my family had little if any contact with them. We talked about Lakota rituals and legends starting in kindergarten. We talked about them, just not to them. There was a certain sense of danger associated them (it even feels uncomfortable to use the word 'them'. damn.) because the only Indians we saw hung around Sid's liquor all day, which happened to be next to my grandfather's, and eventually my father's, law firm. So far stereotypes abound.

    I went to the private Episcopal grade school. In 4th grade, Chelsea Johnson came to school from the Rosebud Indian Reservation. Our class sizes were small. 4th grade had maybe ten kids, by 6th grade there were five of us. I remember early on kids making fun of Chelsea's "brown gums". She would laugh. Then she found ways to be mean back and things settled down. We had sleepovers and birthday parties. But what I really remember when I think about Chelsea are two separate events.

    The first was during fall conferences when we were in the 6th grade. I had somehow been signed up to sit in a desk in the hall and sign-in parents. Chelsea's mom came by, she said hello. Nothing special. She went in to meet with our teacher. She came out about twenty minutes later, red faced, with a sharp eye on me. She came over and told me that Chelsea was doing poorly and it was my fault. Diedre (the other girl in the class) and I were going too quickly and making Chelsea make mistakes because she was trying to keep up. I was eleven. I had no idea what to say. I cried.

    That same year we were getting ready for the Nativity. An evening performance. The Christmas story was read aloud and acted out. The event featured the 6th graders as the main players, and had for 50 plus years. Playing Mary was the high water mark for a 6th grade girl; you got to carry someone's real baby. I had been offered the role in November. I was strutting. The week before we started practicing, I hesitate to say rehearsing, the Head Mistress, Mrs. Whitcomb, asked me to stay behind after lunch. We sat down at a table and she told me that it would show great compassion on my part if I offered Mary to Chelsea. She said it may be the only honor she would have in life. I didn't say anything, maybe I nodded. I was the angel Gabriel.

    The last time I saw Chelsea was on the front page of the local newspaper. She was talking about being discriminated against at the Catholic high school, therefore, she couldn't succeed and thought she might drop out.

    I've never understood any of this, then for selfish reasons, now because it seems so hopeless and I have no idea if I help or hinder a solution. Is there a solution? Have we learned? Anything?

    I feel more than a little ill. Maybe we could go back to the circle jerks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I should add that I have always struggled with this because the two women were, in their own minds, Chelsea's champions. Is that really the media or are we bound to destroy from the inside out?

    ReplyDelete
  3. a little linguistic precision is probably warranted here.

    racism: "the belief that race accounts for differences in human character or ability and that a particular race is superior to others."

    race: "a local geographic or global human population distinguished as a more or less distinct group by genetically transmitted physical characteristics."

    as far as i'm aware there is no evidence whatsoever supporting the notion that the genes responsible for the melanin content in the outer layers of human skin, or the genes responsible for the shape of one's nostrils or earlobes or cheekbones, are linked to/interact with/control the expression of those genes responsible [to the extent genes ARE responsible] for intelligence, character, moral rectitude, etc. the idiocy of pure, unadulterated racism is not, i don't think, truly open to question among the rational.

    jumpy raises culture, and i think this conversation is more accurately framed in terms of culture and sub-culture.

    my particular experience is with hispanic culture. specifically: 2d and 3d generation southern california hispanic culture. even more specifically: the subculture of cholos/cholas. i grew up alongside -- but not with -- them. shaved and sharpie-re-drawn eyebrows, white pancake makeup, sky-high peacock-tail bangs, pendleton shirts buttoned to the neck in the hundred-plus heat of inland empire deserts. hairnets. dead eyes.

    as a kid, the way they looked -- the way their neighborhoods looked --scared the living hell out of me. as an adult, what i know of their culture scares the living hell out of me. the fear is different as an adult, and as a parent. put any tender baby in that culture, no matter what the genetic history of said infant, and what emerges at the end of 15, 16, 17 years is a product shaped by a set of values as different from mine as any martian's -- not that i know anything about martian culture, but go with me here. if the infant is female, the shaping process is all the more horrifying, to my outsider's eyes -- there is a pathological brand of machismo enshrined in cholo culture. and because i know what i know about this particular subculture, a whole raft of assumptions is called up when i meet a member of the tribe. knee-jerk. thoughtless.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This subject is sort of a thought wasteland for me...but...

    In modern society we have developed cultures and sub-cultures that are, in part, born out of a majorities response to the way people look. Bankers saw a black man walk in the door and they only approved loans for specific areas, isolating the population without means of escape. Employment agencies see a Latino walk in the door they will be steered toward manual labor and domestic service, offering them no skills. Now we have generations of families that have lived with these psychological circumstance and we fear them because, frankly, we've changed them.

    Those are outside circumstances. But there is in fact evidence that certain populations have genetic predispositions to depression, alcoholism, mathematic aptitude (which in some cases was intentionally engineered), rhythm, stoicism etc. We access the information we have about these predispositions when we SEE someone. Is it racism to take these things into account?

    In the case of Chelsea, she had multiple family members who suffered from alcoholism or FAS or both. Why the Native American population drinks doesn't mean anything when it comes to how alcohol effects them. Or what alcohol does to potential IQ levels. It was a crime that her own mother didn't believe in her but was her lack of faith due to racism?

    My myriad of questions: Is it really thoughtless? Or just unfortunate? Is it avoidable? What would society be if we managed to eliminate the responses we have to people because they are the result of something we find distasteful? Or presumptuous?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wading in. This is going to take a few passes, at least.

    I grew up in Rye, NY, about 30 miles north of NYC. An early memory is driving into the city with my parents and brother. I'm 6. We're driving through Harlem. My parents are tense - at least my mom is, palpably. Are we lost? I'm getting the sense we're lost. It's afternoon, sunny. We're driving a Mercedes. Brothers are walking around the sidewalks. I don't know what's bugging my mom, what the tension is in the car. I'm feeling good. In fact, if we're lost, I think I should roll down the window and ask one of these guys for directions. One tall guy with a big afro and lightish skin smiles in at me, I beam out at him. I'm really dying to roll down the window. I tell my parents, "I know how to talk to these guys, you should let me talk to them." I feel really confident about this. You see, I watch Vegetable Soup. If my mom would let me roll down this window, I'd be like, "Hey, brother. Slip me some skin. We're lost!" and I know the conversation would roll on smoothly from there. My mom tersely declines my offer. I'm mystified by her, and I feel a little bit sad for her. My dad just keeps quietly driving.

    Good Times, The Jeffersons, these are shows that are on, but not at my house. Am I getting any other impressions from the television? All I remember is Vegetable Soup. A lot of wispy, elastic line drawing cartoons of black people doing normal things.

    No black kids at Ridge Street School. This is suburban New York, so we're looking at Catholics, Jews and WASPs. The most I could pick up was a subtle sense of WASP and non-WASP. No particular social hierarchy there, certainly not at our tender ages. (Moved to Seattle in time to turn 9.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay, Seattle. White neighborhood in a white city. Not until junior high and high school was I around black people in any numbers. But Nathan Hale High School had a paradoxical majority of minorities. I was lucky enough to be good friends with Tammy Culley, a neighbor. Tammy was white, but she was unusual in our school - she crossed the racial divide and moved in black social circles. She had a good friend? boyfriend? who lived near us, Sean Herring, and we used to all ride to school together, either in Tammy's car, or in my mom's car. Sean was the first black person I got to know. He was low-key, genial, an athlete. I remember him chuckling quietly more often than saying a lot. If he was roaming the halls during class, he'd wave into my classroom and vice versa. He wrote in my yearbook, "You're one of the few white people I'm proud to call my friend." I nearly died of the pride.

    I was jealous of Tammy's ease. I didn't have it. She was like a black person in white skin, she just had it. She flowed with them. I went with her to all-black parties, dances, house parties in the projects. I was amazed to learn we had projects! Right in Lake City! I acted like it was totally cool, no big deal, but I carried my mom's tension in my body. No nice, loose, elastic Vegetable Soup cartoon flow for me. Frozen smiling. What was I afraid of? I think I had a fear of being found out as a racist, no matter what my intentions were. Like black people would know better than I would if I were one, like their radar would go off. I was afraid of scrutiny, mockery. I was afraid that I had it coming, somehow, for being white, and that any black person could lash out at me at any moment, test me. Black anger, I was aware of it. I feared it and respected it. This never happened, by the way, this lashing out I feared. The only interactions I can call up were neutral or friendly, even though I felt like I was wandering in a sea of menace when I went to these parties and dances.

    I remember riding home in a car from a party with Tammy and...what was his name? Daryl something. Daryl. He was known to be wild, a loose cannon. He was driving us home. He was drunk, there were other people in the car with us, Tammy and I were the only white people. The car was full. He was driving like a maniac, whipping us down Sand Point Way. I was afraid and happy. Why was I happy? Dear god, there was something masochistic there. It seemed a serious possibility that we could die, his driving was so out of control. And I could swear I had a thought somewhere in me, if I die in a car with black people, I'm either not a racist or I will have paid my dues.

    I think I'm supposed to feel ill right now, but I don't. I just feel good. It feels good to look at this. I better keep going, then. I must be on the surface. I will return.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have always been amazed at how restrained and polite black people are given the transgression of slavery and the poor job America did after emancipation. As America slips quietly, passively into a welfare state, we all should pay VERY close attention to what Frederick Douglass and his peers had to say about mental slavery. We will all need to tap into the wisdom of the oppressed people sooner than later if we are to regain our freedoms as white people in Amerikkka.

    "This every slave well understands; and he knows that if he returns to bondage, he returns not merely to slavery, not merely to labor for his master, but to gratify a deep-seated, malignant, and deadly revenge."
    - Fred Douglass

    ReplyDelete
  8. and then, of course, there's this ...

    http://www.jstor.org/pss/2767160

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just to throw a monkey wrench into this, my best friend is half-black/half-white, and has struggled with this the entire time I've known her. It's very confusing for me, actually, because the vast majority of the time, she's very aggressively black, for lack of a better way to put that (I am uncomfortable with the term "black," it should be noted, though I don't know why or what to do about it), to the point where she'll push into a crowd at a show and say, "Move out of my way, white people!" She calls me her "white girl friend," and her other friends her "black girl friends," and she uses both these descriptors with a degree of disdain at times, depending on her mood. I can see her black girl friends bristle when she uses them at all, it should be noted. I don't bristle, I don't think, but I do take note, obviously.

    And yet, and yet, she never finds black men attractive. EVER. She is drawn to skinny, pale, "pretty" white males. She has never dated a black man. And if I ever say something about how attractive a particular black man is, she raises an eyebrow at me like I'm on Cloud Cuckoo Land. Like I'm deranged. She strongly embraces and uses frequently (though again I sense an edge of disdain at times) the term "mulatta." But she's never been happy with herself and I think she probably never will.

    Meanwhile, my sister got married to a half-black/half-white man and has had children with him who are noticeably darker in skin color than she is. I wonder, what will their identies be like? Will they be like my friend's, fraught with complexities and unsure of the proper slot to settle into? Do they have to settle into a slot at all? The black members of her husband's family all live far, far away and the kids hardly ever see them -- mostly, the family they know are blindingly white like me. Will they identify as white? Will they identify as mixed race? When will this issue come up for them? Will it come up at all? Does it matter? Does it matter? That's where I get stuck, I guess -- does it matter? It seems clear it does. But why?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Bravo, Joe Christmas. Bring more of that vitriol and rage, historical perspective and warning. I dare ya.

    We need that in this most pained of discussions.

    Further, anyone want to talk about Jews?

    ReplyDelete